Sunday, December 05, 2004

David Bowie (with the Genuine Diamelles) - Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA - May 23, 1990



My friend CL had been a rabid David Bowie fan for years, so when his Sound+Vision tour came to Sacramento it was a natural choice for us to make the trip. At $27.50 (+ticketbastard fees), this was by far the most expensive concert ticket I had ever purchased, most were still in the $18 to $22 range, but there was never a question of whether it was worth it or not.

Four of us total went out for the show, PCH, CA, CL and myself. We did our typical Sacramento day trip, going to the Beat (still my favorite music store) and Tower Records before the show. I have a great picture of us on top of a car in Tower Parking lot, proudly displaying CL’s Bowie87 license plate.

I think this was when I realized that Cal Expo was probably the best venue in the local area for us to see shows. It was right off the freeway, just about 2 hours from Reno. It is a nice sized ampitheatre and everything is general admission, allowing you to get as close as you want to at any time during the show.

The opening act was one of the most pathetic I’ve ever seen – the Genuine Diamelles, an acapella group and about one step up from a cheesy Nevada lounge act. We felt a little ripped off, but they were so bad it was laughable. Once Bowie came on, we were all mesmerized. We managed to get all the way up to the front and stayed there for a while, but CL had some kind of horrible pain in her foot and couldn’t stand up, so we all moved back with her so she could sit down. David Bowie was and still is an amazing performer, I saw him again this spring and he still is pretty darn hot for his age.

The t-shirt I bought immediately looked like I had bought it in 1980 after only one washing – the last time I ever bought a white concert shirt.

No comments: