Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Peter Murphy - the Warfield, San Francisco, California - July 11, 1992


This was my third concert in California in less than a week, and it was starting to take it's toll on me - as my dad calls it, burning the candle at both ends. I started getting sick in Reno before we even left town, but there was no way I was going to miss Peter Murphy live, so I tried to power through it.

The former lead singer from Bauhaus, was definitely worth suffering for in my mind. I had a few Bauhaus albums in high school, after all, they one of if not the original goth rockers in the 80s. While there are a lot of Bauhaus songs I like, I probably like the offshoot bands better – Love and Rockets, Jazz Butcher Conspiracy, Daniel Ash..etc, with Peter Murphy being my favorite. I have always loved his voice and he has that gaunt thin white duke thing going on. Much like David Bowie, he still looks virtually the same now as he always has. Maybe those two go to the same plastic surgeons.

Once again, I went to the show with PCH and CF. We took my car, but I don’t think I drove at all, even on the way up. It was also at the Warfield, but this time, instead of crowding down at the front of the floor, we took seats upstairs in the balcony. It was a very mellow show, which was fine with me since I felt horrible. I sucked cough drops through the entire night and was pretty irritated by all of the smoke around me.

Rather than going home that night, we stayed at CF’s mom’s apartment in Dublin. The most vivid memory of that next day was as we were leaving town, CF was driving, and PCH was in the passenger seat. We were at a stoplight with the windows rolled down, when PCH declared out of the blue, “I just can’t stop farting.” CF and I were a little shocked, but not as much as the guys in the truck next to us.

Before we left town, we went to some camera store in San Jose so PCH could buy stuff. On the way home, I slept feverishly in the back seat. I think I must have slept the entire five hours back to Reno. So ended my week of three shows…and I think I learned my limits for late nights and road trips.

1 comment:

Our Man Horn said...

And I still just can't stop farting.