Thursday, February 10, 2005

They Might be Giants - Union Square, San Francisco, California - September 3, 1992

A couple of months earlier, during their show at the Warfield, the two Johns announced that they were planning to come back in September to do a free show in Union Square. I heard that and all, but I didn’t really pay as much attention as Paul did – he must have written it down or something. In any event, in September, Paul was ready to drive up again for the day to see TMBG again, this time for free, a Live 105 sponsored lunchtime show.

I still really wasn’t working at the time, so since this was a weekday, it wasn’t a big deal for me to spend another day on the road to see a show. Probably most other folks who came to the show were there on their lunch hour from their jobs on market street or the financial district in San Francisco. Paul and I, well we just drove up from 250 or so miles away.

The whole day was one of those perfect ones where I have retained almost crystal clear memories, at least of the important parts. We had to leave pretty early in the morning to get to get to the city on time and to make sure we got the right kind of parking. I think this was the first time I had ever been to Union Square, at least as an adult. The weather was sunny, warm yet crisp with that hint of fall that I love so much. We got there early enough to get in line to get autographs – Paul got one from Flansburgh and Linnell. I seem to remember that we split it up – one before the show and one afterward, but I’m not especially sure. I’m sure Paul will correct me since he’s probably the most active reader of this little blog.

Union Square filled up with plenty of people that day – and there were also lots of folks at the windows at nearby offices watching and listening, which was pretty neat. The show was great of course, a smaller snapshot of the earlier show we saw a couple of months ago with at least one new song thrown in. It was great to dance like a fool outside with lots of sunshine and breathing room.

After the show, we didn’t head right home…but we did go to our second free show of the day. But I’ll leave that for another post.

No comments: