Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Shonen Knife - The Casbah, San Diego, California, May 16, 1997

We should probably have seen more shows at the Casbah but I am pretty sure this is the only one I ever saw there. It was about a 5-10 minute drive from where we lived in San Diego, quite close to the airport. It was probably even walkable, except for the big steep hill that is Washington Avenue. But just like LA, no one really walks in San Diego. Not for transportation anyway.

Shonen Knife is a group of tiny Japanese girls who sing very fun punkish/popish type songs. To be honest, they are not really my cup of tea, but PCH liked them quite a lot so we had to go. The problem was that we were also planning to fly out on vacation early the next morning. And neither of us are early birds, so we wanted to get a bit of sleep before we flew.

So we went to the Casbah for the show, which was probably supposed to start around 9ish. And we waited. And waited. Watched some crappy opening bands. My brain is a bit fuzzy about this but I seem to remember maybe we also went home in between? Perhaps not, I can’t imagine that the bouncers would have let us back in. But basically I remember that Shonen Knife didn’t go on until very late. Close to midnight if I remember correctly. By that time I was pretty tired and frustrated so I don’t remember much about the show itself. But in any case, we saw them and still flew out the next day. I am sure I slept on the plane.

1 comment:

Our Man Horn said...

I think they were supposed to go on at 8pm, we waited until 9:30. We were really pissed and went back home to do laundry before the trip. Then we went back at midnight, they finally went on a few minutes later, we stayed until they did "Twist Barbie" and "Riding on the Rocket" (probably among their first 3-4 songs) and then bailed.