Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tori Amos - Breslin Center, East Lansing, Michigan - December 3, 1998

This was the third time I saw Tori Amos live and the only concert I have ever attended so far with my friend BP, one of my best friends from grad school.

It is funny how going to a Big 10 school really changes your outlook about college sports. I have always been a basketball fan, from the days I used to watch Boston Celtics games on Saturday mornings with my dad to the times I rooted for UNLV when the Tark was coaching them. But my first time around at school, at UNR, I could care less about sports. I went to one basketball game I remember – when UNR played UNLV my freshman year and I cheered for Las Vegas, and maybe a couple of football games where I was blissfully drunk. All I knew about our basketball team there was that they drove nice cars and lived at the fancy College Inn, a more upscale residence hall, while I was stuck in the older White Pine hall.

But once I got to Michigan State I immediately became a Spartan. I must admit that football and hockey, while fun to watch, were not my favorites – but I became a nut for basketball. I had season tickets both years, way in the upper decks, and I only missed a couple of games that happened while I was home for the holidays. Those two years in school I don’t think MSU ever lost at home.

So the Breslin Center really only holds basketball memories for me. I barely remember seeing a concert there at all. I know I have the ticket and I vaguely remember the evening itself. I don’t think any show will ever duplicate the first time I saw her, and those memories remain most solid in my mind.

No comments: