Friday, November 19, 2004

The Cure - Shoreline Ampitheatre, Mountain View, CA - September 10, 1989


The Cure was another one of my favorite 80s bands that was on my list of must see shows back at the end of the decade. In high school, the Cure seemed to be a good starting point for the goth kids – Robert Smith had a whiney voice and a huge nest of hairspray and black dye – but their songs were catchy and poppy enough for just about anyone to listen to.

I remember the first Cure video I ever saw – Let’s Go to Bed – I recorded it in the early days of MTV, when I recorded all day and edited out the junk later. I spent a couple of months looking for the cassette/album in record stores all over Reno and Carson with no luck, so I wound up ordering the EP, “The Walk” from Budget Records and Tapes and waiting several weeks for it to arrive. Later I remember I always used to see Cure videos at Macy’s, in their Junior section, for some reason. After I gave up on MTV this was a good place to keep up with Robert Smith’s hair styles.

When I saw them in the fall of 1989 they were really starting to reach their pinnacle of popularity with the release of Disintegration and songs like Lullaby, Lovesong and Pictures of You (recently highlighted in an HP commercial!) Of course I don’t remember that much about the show itself again – but a few tidbits. I remember it was the first shoreline concert where I sat on the lawn instead of in seats, which made it seem more like a day at the park than a concert. The band looked very, very far away. Also, it was the first concert I remember where I saw bootleg t-shirts for sale outside the venue. A guy was trying to sell them to us and we wound up trading him for a bottle of evian water instead…I guess he was pretty thirsty at that point.

No comments: