Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Howard Jones (with Midge Ure) - Lawlor Events Center, Reno, NV - July 11, 1989


Howard Jones came again to Reno the last summer of the 80s. It was kind of weird to go back to a concert at Lawlor again after getting used to going out of town for shows.

I remember the show being very low key. We had pretty good seats on the floor and sat on folding chairs. Midge Ure, formerly of Ultravox, opened up and he did an amazing job. His song “Dear God,” is a classic for me and once made it onto a mix tape of atheist songs I was trying to compile. I really only found enough for about 1 and ½ sides of a cassette and never finished it. I remember the girls next to us kept talking during his set and I was really annoyed.

Howard Jones was a bit more simple at this point in his career. He sang a lot from his piano and wasn’t all electronic and programmed like he was in 1985. He really was (and is still I suppose) very talented and though I don’t follow him that much anymore, I can appreciate his influence on my early musical tastes.

No comments: