Thursday, October 28, 2004

New Order - Shoreline Ampitheatre, Mountain View, CA - June 14, 1989

I borrowed a New Order cassette from my friend Al when I was a junior in high school and I was immediately hooked. Fabulous dance music, mostly fun but at times a little dark, it was the most original stuff I had probably heard up to that point in my life. I loved how none of the songs had obvious titles and the really neat art on the covers.

Over my life I have bought dozens of New Order CDs as well as Warsaw, Joy Division, Electronic, Revenge, Monaco and the Other Two. I went to a CD party for the release of Republic. I’ve read Deborah Curtis’ book and seen “24 Hour Party People” (though the shaky camera made me want to hurl). Needless to say the first time I saw them live was a pretty momentous occasion for me.

CA and I stayed in San Francisco before the show, this time on the boat with his mom and stepdad. Our friends AM and RO actually drove up from Las Vegas for the show, which must have been close to a 1000 mile journey, only to stay one night before driving home.

We were pretty close up, in seats at Shoreline, and AM and RO were on the grass general admission area in the back. The Sugarcubes were one of the opening acts, right after their first album was released and before Bjork’s acting career had started. I remember the guy in the band running up and down in the crowd singing like a madman.

I remember New Order sounding fabulous, but they’ve never been a very active band. They stand there and play and don’t get too excited - Bernard Sumner looks downright scared most of the time. But it was definitely worth the drive and a nice start to that summer.

New Order fans are pretty techy, so it doesn’t surprise me that they have one of the coolest websites I’ve encountered in this search. Since I no longer have the ticket for some reason, I was able to locate the right date plus more.

No comments: