Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Ministry (with KMFDM) – UNR Jot Travis Student Union, Reno, NV – February 7, 1990

Thanks to the web I was able to locate the exact date of this show. Some great fan kept a list of all of Ministry’s tour dates going back to their first shows in the early eighties.

I’m probably one of the only Ministry fans who will confess to really liking their first album, With Sympathy. It was a quintessential early 80s type album, sounding a bit like the Cure, Soft Cell, or Heaven 17, kinda whiney guy singing longing love songs on top of great dance music. Their next album also had a great goth rock anthem, Every Day is Halloween, that gets played over at 80s dance clubs, probably still to this day (it was the last time I went to one in Portland a few years ago).

I think Al Jourgensen kind of distances himself from those albums, since they got a lot harder and started to define the industrial genre along with Nine Inch Nails in the 1990s. I did like Twitch and the Land of Rape and Honey, but I haven’t really progressed with them since then. The Land of Rape and Honey was a really good CD to play when your neighbors were being really loud and annoying and you wanted to respond in kind.

In any case, this was the only small venue show I saw at UNR. It was at Jot Travis Student Union, right near the food court. I wonder what the place must have looked like afterwards, because people seemed to get pretty out of hand. The band was behind a chain link fence, and there was much moshing right in front.

KMFDM opened and they were pretty great. Although some guy told us that it stood for “Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode,” which made us feel slightly uncool (or me anyway, but I got over it).

No comments: