Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Let's Go Bowling - Humpty's, Lake Tahoe, California - October 25, 1992

Seeing a show on your birthday is never a bad thing. I spent the evening of my 23rd birthday in Lake Tahoe seeing Let’s Go Bowling – supporting their 1991 release, Music to Bowl By.

This was the first real Ska band I ever saw live. Ska was definitely not a new thing in 1992, Madness and others had been doing it for years, but in Northern Nevada it was getting a bit more attention, thanks a lot I think to local band the Mudsharks, who played pretty regularly at local bars, and with whom my friend Dan once shared a house with in Reno.

I know it was definitely also the first Ska band PCH ever saw live, and I suspect today he still appreciates it more than I do.

I remember a couple of things about the show – first – it was here I was offered my first ever free drink at a bar in honor of my birthday. Unfortunately, the barkeep wanted to give me a shot of Jagermeister – and I was not interested in chugging a small cup of cough syrup, so I respectfully declined. Second – I remember dancing like a downright fool, since that is what you do at Ska shows. Everyone jumps around like idiots without any sense of rhythm or style – which makes it very fun indeed.

1 comment:

Our Man Horn said...

I still feel bad my elbow caught you in the nose. =:^(