Monday, August 01, 2005

Skankin' Pickle - Reno, Nevada - December 31, 1992

I guess I saw two Ska shows in a row, and both on special occasions – first my birthday, then on New Year’s Eve. Funny how you don’t realize these things until you look at them on a list.

I don’t have a ticket or anything for this one, and I don’t remember where it was exactly, except I think it was some divey bar on 4th Street, maybe in Sparks. Might have been the Icehouse, but I am not sure. I think I went with CF and DA – I can’t remember if there were more than just the three of us though I would think DA would have a girlfriend with him as he usually did.

Unfortunately, what I remember about this show has little to do with Skankin Pickle or even music in general. It’s a bit gross, but it is the vivid memory I have about the evening – dinner.

For dinner we went to a place called Davo’s, and Italian joint, that had a few locations in the greater Reno area. I seem to remember we went to the one on Kings Row. Anyway, we went to Davo’s a few times, they had good food, generous portions, and pretty reasonable prices. But, unfortunately, my favorite dish was linguine with clam sauce. It had quite a bit of garlic in it and since it was late when we ate and I was starving, I kind of overdid it a little. This made the dancing, drinking and romping around during Skankin’ Pickle pretty unpleasant really, because it seemed like all of us did nothing but burp garlic all night. And it wasn’t just your regular old burp that you just keep to yourself. It was burps you shared with everyone around you. Yes, gross. Probably more detail than you wanted. But it gets better…

After we ate dinner at Davo’s that night, a short while later my mom told me a rumor about the place that she claimed came from a very credible source. Supposedly, Davo’s was closed by the health department in Reno because Davo added a very special ingredient to his sauces. Something quite personal to Davo…and quite reminiscent of linguine with white clam sauce, if you know what I mean. Yes, gross. I haven’t eaten linguine with clam sauce since. Which is disappointing…since it was one of my favorite Italian dishes.

It sounds like an urban myth, and maybe it is. But my mom was a nurse in state service, and supposedly she heard it from her friend in the Washoe County Health Department. Anyway, it all ties pretty nicely in with Skankin Pickle, doesn’t it?

No comments: