Thursday, September 01, 2005

Ocean Blue - The Cattle Club, Sacramento, California - November 6, 1993

Ocean Blue are one of those bands that I always forget about, but when I hear their music, it always makes me feel happy in some small way. I have to admit I only have a couple of albums, and it is the first one that AM introduced me too that is always closest to my heart.

They are a group of friends from Herschey, Pennsylvania, that put together a group and got lucky, with the Indie set anyway. Upon doing a web search, I was surprised to find they are still together and just put out another album in 2004.

I don’t remember exactly, but we probably found out they were playing by seeing a flyer at the Beat or at Tower Records in Sacramento – regular haunts of ours for music. This is the only show I ever saw at the Cattle Club – which is probably too bad. I distinctly remember seeing flyers all the time for Cake playing there, and never bothered at the time to go check it out, or even listen to a CD. I just thought they were a local band who would never go anywhere. I finally saw Cake 11 years later at Austin City Limits. But I get ahead of myself.

I remember the Cattle Club as small and kind of skanky in that lovable music club kind of way. The ceiling was low, which made us seem all the more closer to the band. I don’t remember a huge crowd either, so it was an easy, intimate way to see a show. Combine it with a trip to the Beat, and November weather much better than Reno, it made for a nice evening.

No comments: