Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Tears for Fears (with Live) - Event Center, SJSU - San Jose, California - November 7, 1993

Now seeing these two shows together and looking at the proximity of the dates, we must have stayed over, because I don’t remember doing another crazy go to Sacramento, drive home, then drive to San Jose the next day kind of thing. Funny I didn’t remember the two concerts together this way at all.

I am also not confident about the opening act. I know that I saw Live in this arena – but I originally thought it was part of the PIL show a couple of years prior.

I do have one very concrete memory of this show, which is the only one I will share.

Tears for Fears started out as Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith. In their early videos for Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World, back in 1984 or so, it looked like Curt Smith was really the front man, and I think they did that because he was better looking. Maybe that pissed off Roland, or for whatever unknown reason, Curt left the band. So at this point when we saw them, it was just Roland with a backing band of some other guys.

I don’t know if the guy was pissed off, having a bad day, or what, but after the show was over, which was quite good, by the way, we all expected him to come out for an encore. After prolonged waiting, he finally came out, and instead of singing something everyone wanted to hear, he did an acapella wail of Radiohead’s Creep. I quite like Radiohead now, but at the time, I had absolutely no use for them, and it was all about this song that I absolutely hated. Some girls near us actually left, shrieking and covering their ears. After he finished, he dropped the microphone and walked off the stage.

No comments: