Sunday, September 16, 2007

Voice of the Beehive - 4th and B, San Diego, California - August 2, 1996

I can’t think of Voice of the Beehive without thinking about my friend Ruth who I haven’t seen for at least ten years. I think I will always associate this band as well as John Waters’ Polyester with her. I wonder where she is now?

Anyway, I digress. Voice of the Beehive were a very fun little late 80s/90s band and we saw them at the 4th and B. I don’t remember a whole lot about the show except thinking they looked quite a bit older than I imagined and that they reminded me of the B-52s. I remember having fun though and that it was a fun evening.

I did find them on the web and they even have a myspace site. They have an interesting history actually, the two sisters are from LA but formed the band in London. It might be phony, but I liked this little dialogue from their site.

Melissa: "Tracey, I'm sick of L.A. -- All this sun, sand and surf crap is getting me down."

Tracey: "And you can't find any decent cider 'round here!"

Melissa: "Right! Hey, I got an idea -- let's go to London!"

Tracey: "And live in squats in Bow with outdoor toilets."

Melissa: "And freeze our asses off."

Tracey: "...when it's not pissing down with rain."

Melissa: "And meet some cute guys."

Tracey: "And form a band."

Melissa: "And call it...?"

Tracey: "Voice of The..."

Melissa: "Grapefruit?"

Tracey: "No!...BEEHIVE!"

No comments: